Boys Who Draw Collective

Thursday 24 September 2009

INTERVIEW with SIMON MIllS


1.some people in this world might not know who you are and what you do, could you enlighten them please?

My name is Simon Mills I also use the name boredmonkeylove.I am a self confessed doodle addict, you can find my doodles on tshirts, wallslive at Mr Wolfs in Bristol on found objects basically any surface ink, paint andmarkers will stick to. I am also a dab hand with a jigsaw and like to make cutoutdoodles from found wood.



2.when creating a your characters what is your process?

Doodle, doodle, doodle cup of tea and some more doodling. All my characters startlife as part of a mega doodle. I then choose the scribbles that can become monsters,or bearded men, grab a few cloud doodles add a few arms, an illustration or cut outis born.



3.How did you get in laying down lines?

I have been a scribbler and skateboarder since I can remember which feeds the creative process.A boring job a few years ago led me to doodle on every spare bit of paper and old envelope I could get my hands on. I did a degree in Furniture designso the cut outs started back in college. The power of boredom is strong. Embrace it and use itfor creative gain.


4.is there any process or techinques that you would like to experiment with to push your styles boundries or just for plain fun?

I really want to take the wooden cut outs to a much larger scale, and use the jigsaw like you would a pen, maybe create a whole world For characters to inhabit. I have a plan for this in the not so far future.

5.if you could draw on something or someone any where in the world, who/what would it be and why?

A bearded man doodle with a penis (image included) on the Brooklyn bridge, my favourite bridge.I have just been looking out of the window at a crane, it would also be cool to paint giraffe necks on them that would look so cool between the dull buildings of Brizzle.





6.if you where being attacked by a bear and you only had a pen to protect yourself what would you do?

Poke him in the eye with the pen and doodle a road out of there.

7.is there anyone you would like to throw a some Borat style high 5' at?
familia Claire (doodle wife), Charlie and Maisy doodle kids, All you boys who draw, Gus and co at Drawn recordings, Jude and Mark at Mild West Heroes. And all the skateboarders out there

No comments:

Post a Comment