Boys Who Draw Collective

Monday 30 November 2009

Jon Burgerman - Interview 2/2



Last week I was in the fortunate position to be able to interview a couple of very successful and well known individuals working in the creative industry today, Rex Crowle and Jon Burgerman. The lads are no strangers to hard work and dedication which is why we'd like to say a very big thank you to them for giving up some time for these interviews and preparing a special doodle each (found above).

Our next guest requires little in the way of an introduction as over recent years he's become the poster child for contemporary illustration, I'm talking of course of Mr Jon Burgerman.


What was the very last thing you doodled on?

This isn't going to be very interesting but it was my sketchbook. Shock. Horror!

Do you have a favorite drawing instrument and canvas?

Black felt pen and white paper.





Which was the first project you worked on where you thought to yourself... 'living the dream'?

Maybe when I was working on a level for WipEout Pure on the PSP or I guess on any of the paid for flights I've been lucky enough to be put on (not first class though, unfortunately).

Several of the boys are from Nottingham and wonder if you'd like to get a pint next time your around?

Erm.. ok. Just email me and if I have time let's drink ale and eat salty bar snacks.





Do you find that becoming so well known for a particular style restricts you in terms of personal creative development?

hmm not really. I'm in control of what I do next and where I take my work. I might ponder what people might make of it but hopefully I never let that restrict me. I'm sure people would prefer to be a little surprised now and then too.

Are you involved in any exciting collaborations or projects at the moment?

Yes, I'm working with the brooklyn based artist Jim Avignon on a musical project - Anxieteam and a live performance doodle dance projection thing to accompany it.





What was it like on Blue Peter, do people recognise you in the street?

It was fun and surreal on Blue Peter. The studio lights make you very hot and clammy. I don't get recognised in the street but I have been recognised on a train once and at the airport recently. It was strange, flattering and bizarre. Often people I actually know don't recognise me, or decide not to. hmm.

Plagiarism is always a hot topic especially amongst illustrators. What do you think about people that copy your style, is it quite positive to know your inspiring or do you get seriously miffed?

Of course I'm super happy to inspire people but am a little disappointed when 'grown ups' ruthlessly copy my work. I know it's flattering but I'd like to think people who like my work are smart and nice enough not to blatantly rip me off. When big companies do it I do get seriously miffed. It kind of feels like you've just been burgled.





Any words of wisdom for other other illustrators hoping to make a splash?

The best way to make a splash is, I think, with nice, good, work.
And then just hope people take notice and stuff. There's no magic formula - it's a mix of luck, talent, luck, knowing people, work and luck. Overall though, if you're enjoying what you're doing, regardless of making a splash or not, then you're winning. It's better to like your time working than not.



Once again a big thank you to Jon for taking the time to be a part of this and if you'd like to find out more about him or any of his work then please visit his site using the link below:


http://www.jonburgerman.com



Simon

http://www.simoncorry.com/
http://www.mylaststar.com/
http://www.twitter.com/mylaststar

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jon for taking time out for this interview. Really inspiring. Great advice. The musical project you are involved with looks really exciting! Look forward to seeing (and hearing) more on that.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete